2011/2/24 Zhijie Shen <zjshe...@gmail.com>:
> I'm student who is currently working on using OpenStreetMap to facilitate
> our project. Now I want to retrieve Wikipedia entry from OpenStreetMap to
> fertilize the data source for our project. To do this, I crawled OSM data,
> and found there are few wikipedia tags in my test region... I guess that the
> wikipedia entry on
> OpenStreetMap is added manually. Am I correct?

Yes, they are added manually. If you wanted to put them on the map
without reference to an OSM-Object you could simply take the
coordinates that wikipedia gives you for geotagged articles and
display them as an overlay. We cannot (AFAIK) import those coordinates
into OSM because we believe that they were mainly created from
Googlemaps hence constitute a derived database [1].

Today I was looking at some places (countries, states and cities) and
found that despite some wikipedia links most of them are actually
missing.

I invite everybody to look in his region for features (not only
place-features) to see, if they are already linked to wikipedia. In
case they are not I suggest to add a tag in the form:
wikipedia=<language-code>:<article-name>
as suggested here:
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key:wikipedia

e.g.
wikipedia=en:London
or
wikipedia=it:Hong_Kong

(copy the value from the URL to avoid typos).

It is generally sufficient to add 1 wikipedia-tag for one language, as
all the others can be fetched from the interlanguage links Wikipedia
is offering. Only in rare cases there might be need for additional
tags for different languages (in cases where the wikipedia structure
for different languages is differing, e.g. some languages have a
specific article, in other languages the same feature is described
inside the article of another thing).

cheers,
Martin

PS: This would also make a beautiful project of the month...

[1]
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Wikipedia#Importing_geodata_from_Wikipedia