From: M&angmsd;rtin Koppenhoefer <dieterdre...@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [OSM-talk] layer tag issue in mapnik settings?
To: "Mike N" <nice...@att.net>
Cc: talk@openstreetmap.org
Date: Monday, March 14, 2011, 11:57 AM

2011/3/14 Mike N <nice...@att.net>:
> On 3/13/2011 7:09 PM, Richard Mann wrote:
>>
>> Best advice is to turn it into a pedestrian bridge
>> (highway=footway+bridge=yes+layer=1)
>
>  I've used highway=pedestrian+bridge=yes+layer=1 , which also seems to fit
> the Wiki definition.

IMHO highway=pedestrian is not correct (it is used for streets that
are "pedestrianalized"), I'd go for highway=footway as suggested by
Richard Mann.

Mapnik has chosen not to cover highways by buildings, and there is no
way to override this by layers. I am not sure that the T@H approach is
better, because the don't display the covered highway, so it remains
unclear whether your way is obstructed by the building or not.

Have a look at the covered-proposal (currently not rendered). This
would be done by putting covered=yes on the way-segment underneath the
building.

cheers,
Martin