You are assuming that all dirt roads will be well-maintained, and that all dirt
roads are in dry regions.  Both assumptions are false.  Most of the eastern
half of the USA, and the Pacific Northwest of the USA, get plenty of rainfall,
and even the dryer regions get some rainfall, some of it heavy enough to erode
an unpaved roadway.