On 14/04/2011, at 6:57 PM, Robert Whittaker (OSM) wrote:
> This method seems a much more satisfactory way of doing things to me
> -- assuming it could work legally (IANAL). We would still have the
> flexibility to re-license if we needed to without individual mappers
> being able to hold their data hostage, and we have much clearer rules
> for contributors to follow about what sources it is acceptable to use.

I think the big problem with that would be people editing, and combining
licences.

Say for example there is some CC-BY derived coastline, and a road traced from
Bing. I know that the area in between is a sandy beach, so add that to OSM.
What licence is my beach under, and what are the restrictions for changing it
in the future?

Right now this works because everything is CC-BY-SA or compatible with it, so
it's not really an issue. I honestly don't know how it'd be figured out for a
change to ODbL, probably just ignoring the issue, but if we're tracking what
licence all the data is, then it would seem like something people would want us
to figure out.