If you don't restrict use, you don't have a trademark, you just have a
pretty picture. It would be hard to say that the OSMF controls the
quality of the goods and services that the logo marks. Given the
modified versions that have floated around over the years, the OSMF
doesn't seem to care about trademark dilution either.

But all is not lost. It's still licensed CC-By-SA, so anybody who uses
it has to acknowledge OpenStreetMap. Anybody who doesn't can be told
to stop, even if they've never been told to stop before.

Plus there's the fraud theory. If someone intentionally misleads
someone as to the quality of the goods being sold in an attempt to
profit from that confusion, that's fraud. Might not work for
non-profit abusers, but it's usable for companies.

Best to establish usage guidelines, even at this late date.