I have recently been mapping tidal areas where data for both mean high
water and low water levels are available.  I have drawn the MHW level
and tagged it as natural=water, natural=riverbank or natural=coastline.
 Then I have drawn natural=beach, natural=mud, natural=land,
natural=wetland etc. up to the MLW level.

For example see: http://osm.org/go/0EZaXWxC-

First question is does this seem a reasonable way to map MHW and MLW?
If so I think I will start a wiki page on how to do it.

On the rendering side, what would be really nice is if the render showed
a dark blue line around the outside of the natural=water etc. and that
it showed on top of whatever else is there ie. natural=mud etc.  This
way we can see both MHW and MLW just like on OS maps.

Not sure if there would be a technical issue with rendering this with
the various renderers, it would be nice IMO.

--
Borbus.