There is this proposal
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Proposed_features/Route_Segments, which I
like, but it seems it's not worked on anymore and it's not rendered, since
it involves relations containing relations. I don't really mind having many
relations on roads. It doesn't pose a problem in JOSM. It would be easier to
manage changes though, if the information wasn't duplicated 40 times.

There is also a public transport map here now:

http://opencyclemap.org/?zoom=16&lat=-36.84618&lon=174.77386&layers=0B

Jo