On Mon, 1 Aug 2011 09:29:41 +0100, Ed Loach wrote:
I've got a wiki that links certain localities to the OSM map. I
use the
addr: fields for that. They are unique (at least for my purpose),
but
this also does not guarantee 100% continuity.

I did a map once with links to local pubs. I found storing their
latitude and longitude was good enough for my purpose. While pubs
being converted from nodes to ways, or their accuracy of location
being improved based on bing imagery means the pub may move
slightly, the stored location was still near enough (and much better
than calculating based on say OpenData postcode centroids as most
web location stuff seems to do).

The big advantage for my purpose is that zipcode+housenumber is unique in the Netherlands. This is not so in other countries where even street+zipcode+housenumber may not be unique. So yes, YMMV. Doing it on vicinity of previous known location is also a good thought.

Regards,
Maarten