* Jaak Laineste <jaak.laine...@gmail.com> [2011-09-19 14:14 +0300]:
> 2011/9/8 Phil! Gold <phi...@pobox.com>:
> > * ant <antof...@gmail.com> [2011-09-08 21:13 +0200]:
> >> I'm curious about how this is utilized. Have you ever used the
> >> torrents? Do you use them regularly? Do you seed?
> >
> > I use them regularly.  I use the RSS feed to auto-download the torrent
> > files and then seed them until the next week's files are out.  It's kind
> > of convenient to always have a recent planet file on hand, even though my
> > main use of the data is via a minutely-updated PostGIS database.
>
> How exactly do you do it - can you share the scripts?

I use FlexGet[0] to monitor the RSS feed[1] and automatically download new
torrent files.

  [0] http://flexget.com/
  [1] http://osm-torrent.torres.voyager.hr/files/rss.xml

Here's my FlexGet config.yaml:

  feeds:
    osm-planets:
      rss: http://osm-torrent.torres.voyager.hr/files/rss.xml
      accept_all: yes
      transmission:
        host: localhost
        port: 9091
        username: username
        password: password

I use transmission as my BitTorrent client.  If you use a different
program, you'll have to change that a little, but FlexGet has plugins for
most of the major ones.

> I could also create regular copy of pbf (from
> http://download.bbbike.org/osm/planet/ for example, or with osmosis)
> there to share it via bittorrent, if someone gives specific bittorrent
> instructions for Ubuntu.

The script used to make the current torrents[0] is probably the best place
to start, though that doesn't help if you're not familiar with shell
scripting.  I'll see if I can tweak it and then write some general
instructions about using it.

[0] http://osm-torrent.torres.voyager.hr/files/create_new_planet_torrent.sh

--- --
The Very Big Stupid is a thing which breeds by eating The Future.  Have
you seen it?  It sometimes disguises itself as a good-looking quarterly
bottom line, derived by closing the R&D department.
                       -- Frank Zappa