Hello everyone,

part of my PhD is to automatically model indoor environments from
photographed evacuation plans. While there is still some way to go until
this will be possible, I thought about suggesting this method to the OSM
community as a fast and easy way of collecting data about indoors.

The idea is:
1) the user takes an image of an evacuation plan like they can be found in
all public buildings,
2) warps this image using the building ground plan already available in OSM
(using e.g. warper.geothings.net)
3) draws the indoor routes using JOSM and the warped image as a layer like
Bing or Yahoo aerial images using the tags suggested at
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Indoor

However, http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Beginners_Guide_1.1 states, that
"As a rule of thumb, use no external resources except those available in the
editors", so this is why I am writing.. What do you think of this data
source? Is it usable? Is it only usable, when there is no copyright sign
written on the plan?

Looking forward to your thoughts about that!

Michael

PS: If anyone is interested in my work on this topic or wants to read the
long explanation for the idea, here you are:
http://www.ifp.uni-stuttgart.de/publications/2011/20110530_Paper_IPIN_CamReady.pdf