On Tue, Nov 1, 2011 at 4:59 PM, Peter Mooney <petermoone...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi Kate,
>
> Thanks for the reply.
> My idea is that the students would take the skills from the workshops
> and then start contributing to OSM.
>
> I suppose I have two reasons (just personal ones) for not allowing
> editing the real map in the workshop.
>
> 1. Don't want to cause errors/deletions etc on the hard
> work/contributions of other OSM community members - am concerned about
> what state the map would be left in if there were lots of mistakes
> generated.
> 2. Would feel more comfortable with a sandbox - with the idea of
> graduating on to helping these people contribute to OSM for real.
>
> Do you feel it would be OK to edit the live map?

Dear Peter,

I appreciate your concern and suggest the following as an alternative.

Inform the new users that they are editing a real map, made
cooperatively by many real people.  Demonstrate to them a real survey
that leads to a real edit. This takes research to find a real,
non-trivial edit like adding the new pizza shop in your neighbourhood.

Then have them look at places they know best (their own
neighbourhoods) for real and non-trivial edits that they can make from
local knowledge.  Have them look for likely places that they can
survey to improve the map.  Help them to make their first edits by
answering their questions while you are all together.

Be sure to provide the references they need to find additional help,
the wiki Map Features page, the talk-list, the help site, etc.

Best regards,
Richard