jaakkoh wrote:
> Or maybe, just maybe, some of the blessed developers who
> know Rails well enough could help make connecting with
> other mappers easier/smoother/even_delightful

There's lots of stuff that can be done and I suspect OWL, Matt's "what edits
are actually happening in a given area" engine, is the crucial backend on
which we can build it.

The real win for OSM social features will be in building up _real_ mapping
communities. Find out who's mapping in your town, talk to them, co-ordinate
survey trips, sort out visits to the pub (or cultural equivalent), and all
that. The sort of thing that Germany and London are very good at, with
accordingly excellent results, but that doesn't happen in many other places.
It emphasises that OSM, at its best, is all about bringing your local
knowledge to the map.

Unfortunately... there are far too few "blessed developers" and they all
have a to-do list as long as the Russian boundary relation. So this really
isn't going to happen any time soon.

Unless you - or other people reading this - can help us build this good
stuff? Subscribe to the rails-dev mailing list, talk to people on IRC,
whatever's easiest. Rails is not that hard really, especially if you just
start with the little stuff. And we don't bite (well, we do, but in a
friendly fashion).

Come on in, the water's lovely.

cheers
Richard