Maarten Deen wrote:
> That is something different than what 80n said earlier

80n, not for the first time, is wrong.

> So, which is it? Cleared and no details about any previous
> modifications or archived and earlier details available?
> You have to excuse the confusion, because these are conflicting messages.

We have the full history of every OSM object ever created.

Post-0.5, the history is stored in the main database, as you know.

The API 0.5 changeover involved a very significant change to the data model
(we dropped the segment datatype, and changed the definition of a way to be
an ordered list of nodes rather than an unordered collection of segments).
It therefore wasn't possible to directly keep an equivalent object history
_in_ _the_ _database_. Hence Frederik's message: "we have removed past
history data from the database today".

However, it was, of course, archived, and is sitting on a server somewhere.

I don't believe this data has yet been analysed or republished; and I'm sure
that analysing it will not be a simple task; but no doubt finer minds than
mine are thinking about it. :)

cheers
Richard