For what it's worth I also think it's very important to have a prominent map on
the front page and I believe this whole debate just highlights the fact that
OSM is not ready for mainstream and remains a geeky subculture.

There seems to be a duality of identity here. On one hand, some are saying lets
make it more accessible and friendly to "ordinary people". On the other hand,
some appear embarrassed by the prominence of maps to represent what our
community is all about, and they want to retain a geeky "we are not a map, we
are a database" ideology.

The two goals are completely incompatible because "ordinary people" expect OSM
to be all about maps. In fact, I was drawn into the project on the premise that
OSM is "the Wikipedia of maps", and I found it an exciting prospect to
contribute to such a great idea.

Well... you go over to Wikipedia and the first thing you see is the front page
of an encyclopedia, ready to be searched and used as such. You know there's no
bells and whistles, and thats a good thing. You're attracted by the clean
commercial-free environment, and you have confidence that the information in
Wikipedia has been lovingly provided by contributors who want to leave their
legacy to the world by sharing their knowledge and expertise, and rigorously
reviewed and checked by other contributors.

You don't hear Wikipedia trumpeting "we are not an encyclopedia, we are a
database of information." No... they scream from the mountain tops "we are the
world's encyclopedia", and absolutely relish in it.

Why can't OSM be also scream from
a nearby mountain top, "we are the world's map".... I mean, what's so
embarrassing about providing a good, comprehensive, accessible map? It's an
accomplishment of which we should all be proud, not hide away.

Yes we don't have gimmicks like street view and satellite view. So too
Wikipedia lacks rich multimedia content. It's simple, clean, fast,
comprehensive, accurate - and yet very very successful.

Again, what is embarrassing about a map?

I really do hope OSM finds its way through this quagmire of identity and
eventually becomes the world's map, widely used, integrated, and quoted in all
kinds of spheres.

That's my vision.

BJ