On 1/25/2012 6:13 AM, Richard Fairhurst wrote:
Lots of you will have seen the interest recently in switching from
proprietary mapping providers to OpenStreetMap - blog postings by Nestoria
and StreetEasy, Wired's article, and so on. We started a Twitter hashtag,
#switch2osm, and it's rather taken off

Please monitor the forum for these questions as well - I'm starting to see many requests there from new arrivals. It's been a while since I've set up a tile server, so most of the time I don't have useful hints for them. help.osm.org would be considered new-user friendly; many of them would consider the mailing lists as awkward.

 http://forum.openstreetmap.org/