I would say generally, yes. I notice locally a bot following around
a mapper who uses denomination=Anglican converting it to
denomination=anglican (and auto-correct made that difficult to type
with a lower case in this email).

See also:

http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Beginners_Guide_1.4.1

“All tags are lower-case, except for names.”

(I’d add FIXME=* as an exception to the all tags are lower-case
rule; I’m sure other people might come up with other exceptions; see
for example:

http://taginfo.openstreetmap.org/keys sort by Key ascending and go
forward a few pages to get past those beginning with a digit – AND
prefixed keys for example are quite numerous).

Ed