On Wed, 2012-02-15 at 17:39 +0000, John Sturdy wrote:
> On Wed, Feb 15, 2012 at 5:27 PM, Martijn van Exel <m...@rtijn.org> wrote:
>
> > I don't really see the value of a generic noexit=yes tag - it can and
> > should be inferred from the network. But finding dead ends can be
> > valuable for tagging the countless turning circles / cul-de-sacs that
> > exist in post-war subdivisions in the US - like John mentioned.
>
> After a bit more thought, I'm not even sure of the definition of a
> dead end --- is a road that leads into a closed tree (or other graph)
> of roads and dead end?  It does lead to other roads, but you can't get
> out onto the wider road network without coming back along the same one
> again.  For example, is
> http://www.openstreetmap.org/browse/way/4678941 a dead end?

I would say not, as you can drive out again.

This one http://www.openstreetmap.org/browse/way/149932900 is very
definitely a dead end, at least in a road car. It continues as a muddy
track that will get surveyed when the weather gets better and I get my
bike out again. It took a seven point turn to get out again.

Was running Cloud GPS on my phone (OSM display), attached to windscreen
and spotted a road that wasn't on the map, so I mapped it.

Phil