2012/2/17 Jochen Topf <joc...@remote.org>:
> On Thu, Feb 16, 2012 at 06:25:30PM +0000, Graham Jones wrote:
> Generic key names can be confusing, especially when one OSM object is used for
> multiple things.

+1.
E.g. an object tagged barrier=fence, height=2, landuse=forest. In this
example you could also use 2 objects: a closed way for the fence and a
multipolygon for the area. Linear objects we can create with route
relations (instead of overlapping ways). We don't have currently a
relation for nodes and maybe we don't need this utterly (you could
place another node "nearby"), but it would solve some cases where you
want to state the topology precisely (e.g. 2 objects at the same
pole). This way we can have "things" (expressed by a relation) which
have their geometry only as an attribute, instead of a geometry that
_is_ something.

> Non-generic tags also make tools such as Taginfo more useful, because each tag
> stands on its own. They make it immediately clear if the tagging is
> incomplete.
> If the "generator" tag got lost, how do we know what the "power_source" tag
> is supposed to mean?

+1 for taginfo, but I don't think we need the namespaces for the case
something gets "lost" (there is the history for this).

Cheers,
Martin