On 2012-03-21 at 17:35:28 +0100, Janko Mihelić wrote:
> Mappers in these towns treat ways in old parts of their town as something
> that can't be a footpath. For some reason it insults their vision of those
> ways. That's why they tag them as pedestrian highways although no cars ever
> went through them (well, maybe some small delivery vehicles).

Some of those look like potential pedestrian to me: the main criterion
I use is not whether cars have ever used the way but whether
cars could use them if they were legally allowed to do so
(and often they are in some restricted case, such as emergency
veicles and other rare exceptions).

It is not easy to judge from a quick look at the pics, but
at least in some cases I believe that a city car, driven by
a local who knows that the road isn't getting smaller,
could use that street.

In the case of Venice I believe it could be useful to contact
the local mappers; since their situation is quite different
from most other cities they may have a slighty different usage.

--
Elena ``of Valhalla''