On 23/03/2012 13:47, Lynn W. Deffenbaugh (Mr) wrote:
On 3/23/2012 8:36 AM, Mikel Maron wrote:
User chdr (http://www.openstreetmap.org/user/chdr) seems to be running a script to automatically replace street name abbreviations with the full word. so 1600 Pennsylvania Ave NW becomes 1600 Pennsylvania Avenue Northwest. Which is not the way anyone ever writes street names here in DC.
IMHO, here in the US we have the USPS which has published standardized street naming conventions specifically using the abbreviations. It would seem to me that these "official" street names are what should stick and the expansions of them should not be happening. Not to mention how much more crowded the map labels would become.
I'm new to this problem, but those possible strategies spring to my mind:
- Record only the abbreviated name and let the user expand it using his favourite rules if he wants. - Record only the canonical expanded name and let the user abbreviate it using his favourite rules if he wants. - Record both the canonical expanded name and the abbreviated name, let the user choose which one he wants.

Would a name:abbreviated tag make sense ?

Is the expanded name the canonical one ?