Yes, if you use eWorld as a frontend http://eworld.sourceforge.net it becomes very easy usable. But there are a lot of bugs and the Usability isn't that good. So I would like to suggest to improve this one, instead of starting your own project. An animated SVG export would be a very cool thing :)

http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Simulators

bye
Matthias
(user:!i!)