I have the VisionTac VGPS-900 (which is the same as the Columbus V900), and
am very happy with it.

1) For me, the audio recording is a vital feature, especially when mapping
house numbers, shops, POIs, turn restrictions etc. Having used this a lot, I
can't see myself going back to a logger without audio recording! I have
_not_ had any problem with the audio recording function stopping the
recording of GPS points - it seems to work perfectly OK for me.
2) Accuracy is good.
3) Seems to get a fix quite quickly, even when you've moved a long way with
it turned off.
4) Battery lasts ages.
5) The onboard software does quite a lot of interpolation/extrapolation, so
that you can sometimes see the track overshoot when doing a sharp turn. I've
seen a review online somewhere that shows this happening with all of the
'high sensitivity" GPS-receivers though, so not unique to the V900.
6) As someone else mentioned, there is no USB data connection (the USB port
is for charging only), so you have to take out the microSD card to transfer
the data to a PC. Mine came with a USB microSD reader, so I don't see this
as a problem.

As far as I know, the V900 does not have any internal accelerometer, so if
the V990 has one, then that's a difference.