Hi,

if you render the world on zoom level 16, there are 67 million "meta tiles" (each covering an area of 8x8 tiles). The majority of them are in the sea, obviously, and unlikely to have any data. 20 million meta tiles are not in the sea; of these, 4.4 million have at least one node.

As of 27th May 2012, only 142 of these meta tiles have more than 100,000 nodes on them; the front-runner has a whopping 227,000. 105 are in France, 26 in the US, 3 each in Italy and Brazil, and one each in Spain, Japan, Denmark, Austria, and Indonesia.

This count is a side effect of something else I was doing and I apologise for not making a proper map of it; I've only dumped and reverse-geocoded the top 142 regions:

http://fred.dev.openstreetmap.org/density/

I'd be interested to know how many of these are actually the work of human mappers. Most of the French ones are probably imported buildings, but the others?

If anyone wants to do something interesting with it, the full file of all 4.4 million metatiles and how many nodes on them is available on request (or the rather primitive script that makes the list from a planet file).

Bye
Frederik