On 5/27/2012 2:53 PM, Alan wrote:
As I discussed with you, I am no longer uploading data with the tag and will
I object.

An ID tag is highly useful for future reconciliation and/or synchronization
later.

I used to agree with you, but in terms of minimum labor, updates are best performed by retaining the original upload data, then doing a conflation between the original data and a later update. That will highlight only changes from the original source, and only those differences will need to be manually merged into OSM.