>>> http://www.openstreetmap.org/user/WorstFixer/diary/17025
>>>
>>> Do you have any comments? What to add? What to remove?
>>
>> 1. I think that the discussion with community should be much earlier,
>> probably right after you have found some data. Is it really useful data, if
>> not then do not waste your time with all these technical preparations. With
>> this flow you expect that there is default go-ahead for import, but every
>> import should be well justified.
>
> If you stupid enough to not find difference between good and bad data
> yourself you deserve wasting your time on writing tools. Arrows to
> "discuss" go from almost all steps.
>
> Some maps can be in ugly format like FreeHand. Community will say "no
> not import that ist shit".
> But you can do nice clean up before. And community says "nice job, do import".

 You do not decide imports based on source data technical format. Initial key
question there could be: can the community really maintain the data after
import, also do we get extra value from it or it is just nicer map image with
poorer and poorer editing experience. For example we can have nation-wide
cadastre data with good quality and format, but we do not import it. If you
import streets of a city which does not have any map otherwise, then it is
different case.

>> 2. Also, please have two branches: one leads to "Upload to OSM" , and
>> another "share data" as .osm files without uploading, so manual
>> copypasting/merging can be done by community. IMHO this should be often
>> default and preferred option.
>
> Current import guide lines disagree with you. Ich also disagree with
> you. "Import" ist when data goes to database, not to some random FTP.

Right, technically it is not importing. It is using/sharing data without
importing, soft import or manual import or whatever you like to call it. This
can be done quite safely without much community involvement, just post the URL
to local list explaining what data it.

> You can also draw better import guide lines too. It ist easy.

Btw, why you ask for comments if you cannot really take them?

Jaak