On 6/6/2012 3:11 PM, Tirkon wrote:
Worst Fixer<worstfi...@gmail.com>  wrote:

It means that we must revert things like TIGER and CanVec. Am I right?

I think fundamentally you are right with this point. My impression is
that many people at OSM regret these imports - in fact the longer they
are involved in the project.

Most opinions I've seen are that TIGER is imperfect but better than nothing as a starting point.

I imagine Wikipedia would have
been imported so far and the user were damned to correct it and only
add bits and bobs. I am pretty sure it never ever would have had that
success it had.

Pull up five articles on small-to-midsized U.S. cities in English Wikipedia. You'll probably see many similarities. This is because they were created in the early days of Wikipedia by user Rambot, using US Census Bureau data (which TIGER also happens to be).

IMHO the community impact of imports should be described in extenso
before any technical stuff is mentioned. And yes - it should be
mentioned that TIGER and its friends were early mistakes of OSM.

This view that they were mistakes is far from widespread.