> [1] http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Proposed_features/Names_localization

+1, generally; but I'm not keen on deprecating the bare "name=*" tag,
because for many (perhaps most) named features, there is only one
name.  For example, a minor rural road in England will probably have a
name (in English), but it won't have names in other languages, and
no-one will really describe its name as "its English name" --- it's
simply "its name".  Multiple names are really an issue for
multilingual countries and for major features (typically large cities,
rivers, and perhaps mountains) in monolingual countries, and I suspect
those are well under half of all the features that will ever be
mapped.

Having just suggested keeping it simple, I'll suggest a complication
as well: multiple scripts for the same language.  In particular, I'm
thinking of mainland China, as it opens up more to interaction with
"the West"; and, when I did an introductory course on Chinese language
and culture, my teacher said the Chinese people begin learning to read
and write using pinyin, rather than in Chinese script, so maybe we
should ask Chinese mappers whether they're interested in it being
convenient to have names in both.

__John