Pavel Melnikov <positro...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello all.
> There are some services (proprietary) that show traffic jams and
> events
> that can slow you down here in Russia. The values are collected from
> real
> users using mapping application that sends speed data. This data is
> also
> used to calculate routes.
>
> This feature is very useful actually, and it would be great to
> implement
> something in OSM. However, I think it should not be included in static
> osm
> database using tags and values (because these values are likely to
> change
> rapidly), but use a different database (and different project maybe)
> that
> collects and shows on-line live data. For example, at rush hours we
> have
> many traffic jams, at night and on weekends we have none, all for the
> same
> street - and this live data could be used to calculate routes.
>
> On Sun, Aug 26, 2012 at 4:41 PM, renato <renn...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Hi, I've been trying out the Waze android GPS navigator and the one
> > feature I really find useful of it is that, in route calculation, it
> > doesn't use the road speed limit but rather the actual average speed
> on
> > that road, calculated from the data gathered from other users
> driving
> > those roads.
> >
> > In a few days of use, I have discovered some new routes for places I
> > regularly go to, routes that are less known but certainly faster
> (avoid
> > traffic lights for example). Also the time estimates are way better
> > than Osmand (the only OSM navigator I actively used, but I plan on
> > trying other ones).
> >
> > Could something like this be done in OSM? Has someone ever thought
> of
> > it? First thought would be an average_speed_by_car tag, that
> navigators
> > could use in calculating routes. Even better would be an automated
> way
> > of updating these tags by users using the navigator.
> >
> > just curious to know thoughts about this idea,
> >
> > cheers
> > renato

It could be useful to have both average-speed and current-speed information
available.  I agree, however, that the current-speed information should go
somewhere other than in the OSM database.

--
John F. Eldredge --  j...@jfeldredge.com
"Reserve your right to think, for even to think wrongly is better than not to