The import guideline thread spam got me thinking about how such an issue
could be solved cleanly. I have forever had a problem with the OSM data
being one big blob instead of using all that semantic information to group
and organize the objects.

There are a host of issues like importing datasets without breaking
existing data and also the case of historical mapping. I'm no computer
scientist nor have I been following mails to know if this was already
discussed before, but I put down some fantasies I had about a future osm
data layer model on the wiki:

http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/OSM_Layers

Once again, I have no technical knowledge to reply to any questions on how
this will work, but I hope someone can take something out from it and fix
OSM for the better.

--
 Arun Ganesh
(planemad) <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:Planemad>