On Sat, Sep 22, 2012 at 10:20:22AM +0200, Markus Lindholm wrote:
> On 21 September 2012 20:52, Jochen Topf <joc...@remote.org> wrote:
> > I have just added a change to the OSM Inspector
>
> Hi and thanks for your work with osmi. I hope you don't mind if I take
> this opportunity to put forward a feature request; to separate
> admin_levels in the boundaries view.

I don't mind, but please change the subject next time (as I have done now),
or even better, start a new thread. That helps keeping things tidy and
easier to distinguish different discussions.

> I've been using the boundaries view in osmi to check for problems with
> municipalities i Sweden. It's been a convenient and easy way to
> visually spot a blank area on the map where the municipality relation
> is no longer self-contained. But osmi bundles together all relation
> above admin_level=4 (Swedish municipalities are on level 7) and now
> people are adding more and more boundary relation for lower level
> entities (higher admin_level) which means that there's no longer a
> blank area if there's a problem with the municipality but the lower
> level entities are ok.

The boundaries view is very old, from a time when there weren't that many
boundaries around. Today it is IMHO pretty much unusable because it is too
slow and there is too much data. Adding more layers would make it worse.
Also it is only available for Europe.

We'll probably need a tool thats more powerful then OSMI and lots of time
to implement it, to really improve the situation. I had some discussions
with Frederik already about a better boundary tool, but without some
funding I don't think we'll get that soon. :-(

Jochen
--
Jochen Topf  joc...@remote.org  http://www.remote.org/jochen/  +49-721-388298