I was a bit surprised to see the second article:
http://bits.blogs.nytimes.com/2012/09/25/japanese-look-for-alternatives-to-apples-maps/
which had quotes from myself buried in it!

I was expecting to see some kind of up-front retraction on the original
article itself, with input from the local, Japanese-speaking OSM members
that I know have contacted the journalist. I guess that because the NYTimes
is an English-language site, response from an English-speaker/writer was
easier to use?

I think that the original article still needs correcting, because that's the
one that seems to have been linked to from numerous places.