To Richard,
I've seen examples where manually tracing over raster images has been
done roughly and quickly. It's not a guarantee of quality. You are
saying that it's time consuming to check data from external source and
probably more accurate to trace manually over raster images. But it is
also time consuming to draw manually building polygons, much more time
consuming. And if you do the job carefully the final result in OSM is
normally identical in both cases. I don't know where you leave Richard
but if, let say, one of the next SOTM is happening in Berlin, you will
probably have the choice between the plane, the car, the bike or your
feet. Will you prefer to walk and arrive 10 years later or fly during
2 hours ? Instead of spending hours and hours in copying polygons, we
have better time to cross-check the data with other sources, improve
tagging and fix other mistakes. For the same amount of time, the final
result in OSM will be much better if you take the vector data.

To Frederik,
In your example, I agree with you that the diagonal line is a glitch,
most probably coming from a parcel line just underneath. Our guideline
asks to fix them before the upload but it's not always done. When I
see one, I just fix it. This is the way how OSM works. Your second
point is about indoor details. Myself, I'm also in favour of more
simplicity e.g. one polygon per address. But who is able to decide the
level of details on the map ? I started with blank areas five years
ago and I also said "forget the buildings". Now we have people
modeling houses in 3d, mapping indoor and tagging draught beers.

Pieren