On 27 sep 2012, at 05:26, David Turner <nova...@novalis.org> wrote:

> Chicago's pedway system on OSM is a bit wrong -- it's mostly
> disconnected from the rest of the map (check out KeepRight for a bunch
> of orange lightning bolts).  This can cause problems for routers.
> Apparently, Toronto's system has the same issue.
>
> (I should also note that Chicago doesn't have hour_on and hour_off, but
> that's a different issue).
>
> I would like to just connect the pedways to the streets that they
> intersect, but that's not physically accurate; in fact, they're through
> buildings (and often down stairs or elevators).  Can anyone suggest a
> better way to map them so that they're accurate yet routable?

I'd draw an approximation of the stairs inside the buildings connecting one end
of the stair to the pedway and extending the other end with a footway
connecting to a sidewalk/highway. Perhaps also adding some building=entrance
nodes where the connecting footway (not the "pedway") intersects building polys.