On Sat, Nov 3, 2012 at 3:09 PM, Stephan Knauss <o...@stephans-server.de> wrote:
> On 03.11.2012 19:25, Andrew MacKinnon wrote:
>>
>> Is copying from Google search acceptable anyway?
>
> I say yes. Even this is inferior mapping like any kind of armchair mapping.
>
> Let's assume one enters website addresses and phone numbers of restaurants.
> Tagging phone= and website=.
>
> You are not copying any data from Google or a Google database. You use
> Google to look up factual data. Google returns a link to a website brought
> online by most likely the operator of the restaurant in my example here.
> That site lists the data.
>
> Please forward your question to the legal-talk mailing list for a better
> clarification, but my common sense says this can never be copyrighted data
> (it's factual data). Also too little to claim database rights.
>

> This still leaves the possibility that some user does copy from Google Maps.
> Not too easy for them. To my knowledge all big editors prevent users from
> using Google imagery as a background image. So without using modified
> versions it's not possible. I have doubts that beginner users are capable of
> doing so.
>
> As you mentioned StreetView: Using it to create a database is likely a
> violation of their TOS and OSM does not want this practice.
>
> In which way Google could have copyright or database rights on factual data
> derived from their imagery is still an open question. To discuss this more
> deeply better refer to legal-talk. Starting point for reading:
> http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Copyright_in_deriving_from_aerial_photography

I am pretty sure that in most of these cases, users are copying from
Google Maps or Google Street View and the data should be deleted. In
many cases, the infringing data is something like a road name. This
can't have come from a website which was found using Google Search, it
has to have been copied from Google Maps. If a point of interest has
its address and phone number copied from a website, shouldn't the
source tag be source=website or something similar? The data was copied
from the website, not from Google.