On Tue, Jan 22, 2013 at 3:04 PM, Jozef Riha <jose1...@gmail.com> wrote:
> hello list,
>
> my understanding of addr:* tags in conjunction w/ e. g. shop=* is that
> it is an address information extension (feature) of the shop (see the
> existence of addr:floor for instance that kinda supports this). it
> does not substitute presence of additional addr:* either placed
> separately or being put onto a building. however mapnik style at
> osm.org thinks that addr:* always takes precedence, look at
> http://osm.org/go/0LGZ6EtrF-- and "duplicate" address points.
>
> what do you think? is it possible to get the style fixed?

It is not a matter of precedence. The current mapnik style does not
have a default icon for the shop=* tag. It only knows about a few
specific values like shop=supermarket and shop=clothes and a few
others. shop=shoes does not have an icon so if there was no
addr:housenumber tag on those nodes, nothing at all would be there.

There is a trac ticket open to make a generic shop icon:
https://trac.openstreetmap.org/ticket/3043

Toby