I forgot to mention, one can fix the zoom level of the map tiles being viewed
(independently of the view zoom level)

Right click on the Map Layer -> Properties.
Then select the 'Zoom Level' for the tiles in the bottom drop down menu.

Normally one would use 'Use Viking Zoom Level', which means the tile zoom level
matches the viewing zoom level. This is normal web map view.

However one can set the value to a specific Viking Zoom level:
Where Viking Zoom level 1 = OSM Zoom Level 17  and  Viking Zoom level 128 is
OSM Zoom level 10.

Thus one would first set-up to view the selected area using the default 'Use
Viking Zoom Level'.

Then set the Viking Zoom level value to a lower value to get all tiles covering
the viewed area (providing auto download is on) at that fixed tile zoom value.

NB The Viking Zoom Level is a notional 'Metres per Pixel' pixel factor value,
but that's probably only valid at the equator.

I hope that makes sense!