Hello,

=== Welcome to SotM 2013 ===
It is with great pleasure that I welcome you to State of the Map 2013. This
year's annual conference for all OpenStreetMap contributors and users will
be held in Birmingham, United Kingdom, on the weekend of 6th-8th September.
The organising team is working to ensure that this is the best SotM
conference to date, with one of our key aims being to promote early
involvement right across the OpenStreetMap community. It is with that in
mind that I have the delight in revealing this years theme and introducing
the first area in which you can get involved!

This year's theme is "Change".

It seems incredible that is was 6 years ago that we held the first SotM
conference. The time has gone so quickly and I believe that this is due to
the rapid speed in which OpenStreetMap has grown and developed. In 2007 at
the first conference, we had 10,000 registered OSM members, now there are
over 1.05 million of us. Between us we have increased the number of map
nodes from 7million in 2007 to a staggering 1.8 billion. Thank you!

So what does "Change" look like as a theme? We will use the conference to
explore how OSM has changed, both in the community and in the type of data
we are creating (and now maintaining). You will see how the tools have
changed and get insights into future developments. We will also look at how
OpenStreetMap's huge success is changing the industry (not just the map
industry, but also the impact on humanitarian organisations, charities,
journalism, large and small companies, freelance workers and even
government). Finally we will be peering into our crystal ball that is OSM
2014 and beyond.

=== Get Involved ===
Jump in to SotM 2013 by helping us spread the message. We would like to
translate our theme of "Change" into as many languages as possible. Please
send your translations of the word "Change" to me (or this list) and I will
collate them and share the results on stateofthemap.org

A couple of rules:

1. We are looking for translations of "Change" the noun (as in "we saw *a
change* in the number of OpenStreetMap contributors") rather than the verb
(as in "*to change* an OSM tag") - Sorry if that makes no sense with both
words being the same in English, hopefully all will become clearer as
people start to post translations.
2. No machine translation / no google translate.

That's it!

Welcome to State of the Map 2013,

RobJN (on behalf of the organising team)
stateofthemap.org