It's okay for us as we are in the deep end and are well informed. For those
outside or on the fringes of OSM, the naming of conferences may be a little
confusing. Just saying.

I partly think it comes down to what we want SotM events to be. Are they
simply community get togethers for general chat and organising the local
team's mapping events, or are they more influential [1]. That is, do global
decisions get made at the main SotM conference (directly or indirectly)? If
yes, then there should be some emphasis that the annual SotM is a global
event, otherwise people may get it confused with local events and only
attend if it is in their country. This will lead to a lower participation,
loss of talent and potentially big decisions being made based on the
opinions of the few local attendees.

[1] Note, I don't really know as I've never been - you tell me :-)

Rob

p.s. Does the SotM US organising team intend to bid for main SotM next year
- if not then surely you agreeing that SotM is less relevant?