Hi

It is completely possible to set up your own copy of the Rails-API with a local copy of the API-DB. All Editors (Potlatch2, Merkaartoe, JOSM) will be able to talk through your local API with your local Database.

In order to render your Data you'll also have to copy the dump/diff creation process and import your locally generated dumps/diffs with osm2pgsql into a local rendering db, which feeds your image generation process.

All in all a complex setup, but that's what happens on openstreetmap.org, too.

Regards, Peter