On Mon, Jun 3, 2013 at 4:44 PM, Johan C <osm...@gmail.com> wrote:
> OSMF chairman Simon Poole blogged on May 7, 2013: “Now, with the new editor
> and our plans for new hardware, we’re stepping up another level to make
> OpenStreetMap, not Google, the default choice for mapping and map data.”
>
> Started as an initiative by some community members, four Openstreetmappers
> are currently thinking about the future of Openstreetmap. How might OSM look
> like in 2020? Is it necessary and, if so, possible to compete with a 50 bln
> dollar company which can buy anything it wants? What can people, interested
> in geographic data, achieve when they cooperate? Is there a need to increase
> the feeling to be part of a community? How can we get people to use
> Openstreetmap apps and improve the data?

I'm sure you have noble of intentions, but I have some practical questions:

1. How is this effort different from the efforts in the past of the
Strategic Working Group, for example?

2. What will this group actually do, write recommendation papers?

3. Of your recommendations, what then happens to them? Will these
people on this team then proceed to make them happen? For example, if
you were to suggest that the API needs updating, will you then write
the code? Will you be fundraising for the changes and pay for others
to do so?

4. If the answer to #3 is yes- how will you achieve this? If the
answer is no, then what is the point?

5. The OSM project is largely (though not entirely) a do-ocracy. How
does a group deciding what the future is effect that?

- Serge