Hello,

I just saw that the Global Islands Database by the United Nations
Environment Programme and Partners:

http://gidtool.unep-wcmc.org/

is using OSM coastline data.  They also say so in the 'about' info box:

"The Global Islands Database is originally based on Open Street Map
(using a 1:75,000 Landsat product from the US National Geospatial -
Intelligence Agency) and has been substantially refined through the
work of a number of organisations (e.g. UNEP-WCMC, Island Conservation,
BirdLife International, RSPB, IUCN/SSC ISSG, PIER, Global Island
Network). The Global Islands Database is an intermediate product that
is continuously being refined by the user community."

but this is certainly no sufficient as attribution no matter if ODBL or
CC and their data license:

http://www.unep-wcmc.org/general-data-licence-excluding-wdpa_559.html

is obviously incompatible.  Comparisons at a few locations indeed show
OSM data is widely used there (including non-PGS data) while there are
also areas with significantly better data than OSM as well as various
larger errors (i.e. fake islands).  And of course some of the more
recent changes in OSM are not in there.

I am unsure what should be done about this.  There are probably no bad
intentions there and if the mentioned organisations have indeed
contributed better data it might be nice to have this available to OSM
as well.

Greetings,

--
Christoph Hormann