On Thursday 11 July 2013, Maxim Rylov wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> We are pleased to announce that a new web map based on OSM data has
> just been published. You can see it on
> http://openmapsurfer.uni-hd.de/ (OSM Roads (New) layer).
> One thing that greatly distinguishes it from other online maps is the
> quality of map lettering.

Could you explain in what ways this is the case.  Since different types
of labels are shown in various maps direct comparison is difficult.
You seem to very well avoid overlaps between labels and none the less
you are able to put quite a lot of them on the map but non-label
feature do not appear to play a role in label placement and there are
some strange priorities.

Is the algorithm available as open source?

Greetings,

--
Christoph Hormann
http://www.imagico.de/