gurpinder chahal wrote
> hi all,
> I'm trying to change language in my OSM tile server.

Although the following won't help with the rectangular font issues and also
requires the import with hstore, it might be of interest to pointing out,
that a while ago, I was working on an extension to mod_tile/renderd to make
changing the language easier.

This extension [0] allowed to parameterize the rendering stylesheet on a
request by request basis by programmatically rewriting the mapnik style
sheet. One of the possible parameterizations (well, actually the only one
currently implemented) was to change the language of the name.

It allowed for urls of the form
http://yourserver.com/style/ar,de,fr,_/1/0/0.png, where "ar,de,fr,_" was the
language parameterization, rendering the first of name:ar, name:de, name:fr
and name which is not empty for each feature. The advantage is that with
this, you can take (nearly) any style sheet and turn it into a different
language style-sheet without having to mess around with re-writing the xml.

If I remember correctly, the state of that branch was that it was working,
but not heavily tested yet. One of the reasons I didn't continue pursuing it
back then was that it breaks mod_tiles compatibility with tirex and I didn't
want to do that without making sure that tirex gets updated as well. But
perhaps it is worth pushing again for getting it into a state to merge in to
the mod_tile/rednerd trunk.

This whole branch was heavily based upon Jochen Topf's work on multi-lingual
maps project for the wikimedia germany chapter [1],[2], which is another
great place to look at.

Kai

[0] https://github.com/apmon/mod_tile/tree/multi-lingual
[1]