Hi Roland,

I agree with your criticisms on the show data feature. However, I
think it would better (easier for people to use) to fix the issues
with show data, rather than duplicating a bunch of its functionality
in a new way. You could put your "tag" -> English translation into it,
somehow fix the selection issue, and don't show all data items at low
zoom, it would be mostly straightened out.

I still think it makes sense to have a clickable map, but instead to
attempting to show everything inside of a tiny bounding box, see if
you can add some logic to display just one item, in more detail. You
would need to be smart (aka make some assumptions) about selecting the
correct OSM object. If you get the selection correct, you can show all
of the information for the object (including rolling up the town,
state,country data with just one click.

Just a thought ...

Jason.