Hey Dan,

I realize these aren't arguments per se but solid people to talk to. You may
want to hit up Elliot Plack <elliott.pl...@gmail.com>, who works for Baltimore
County GIS and recently helped open the county's GIS data under public domain
for contribution to OSM.

Another high level contact might be Colin Reilly
https://twitter.com/ColinReillyNY at NYC Department of Information Technology
and Telecommunications who helped open the NYC building footprint data in a
practical way.

--
ian
twitter.com/ian_villeda (https://twitter.com/ian_villeda)