Yes, in that small fraction of cases there would be duplication of
positional data. But in some cases where you think this is the case, it
might actually not be. My county border was defined by a river. Now part of
the river is a reservoir and the other part has shifted over time and
through floods. The border was not moved with these changes and still
follows the original course of the river even though there is no way to see
this path on the ground at this point. So is the border really defined by
the river? Or was it defined by the river at a certain point in time which
may or may not be the same as it is now.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not suggesting an edit to nuke all admin boundaries
tomorrow. They are a part of the core OSM database and will likely continue
to be for some time. I'm just pointing out that OSM is not good at them and
that there might be a better way to handle such things. Perhaps this
approach could be tried with time zone data since we don't already have a
large body of them in the database.

Toby