Thanks Frederik for kicking this off, good discussion of a *potentially* v
useful feature.

No matter how nearby users presentation is tweaked and filtered, I reckon we
need consider how to architect this efficiently. To calculate "activity", by
changesets or sign up date or any other parameters, using rails models or
directly in SQL will be even slower than currently. I'm not familiar with
exactly how Pascal does his calculations, but I'm guessing it's based on planet
diffs and API queries when needed, with results stored. I'd love to see
Pascal's system integrated into OSM.org, on both the friends and nearby users
views (our "news feed"), and on user profile pages.

What's the best way to set up this kind of async stats processing, and
integrate into the rails app?

-Mikel

* Mikel Maron * +14152835207 @mikel s:mikelmaron

For performance issues, it is probably easier and faster to sort by