Contribution of the OSM community fo the Yolanda / Haiyan was awesome with more
then 1,600 contributors from 82 countries. Thanks to all of you for this.
Various medias have recognized how we made the difference for humanitarian
relief, delivering printed maps 10 days after the typhoon.

This is now the reconstruction period and various humanitarian teams are
working in the region. In such emergency context, the collection of map data is
not their first priority. But it worth trying to provide  them simple tools to
collect OpenData for OSM.  While they are using the maps, it may convince them
to contribute and add information. While some of them might use various
smartphone Applications, we should provide a simpler way of contributing for
others. We tell them that they can simply add a Note to the OSM map and
describe features such as schools, health facilities, commerces, etc.  There
are other situations where this could be useful. In Africa for exemple, access
to smartphone is easier then to individual computers. Users could add a note
rapidly from OpenStreetMap.org and contribute to provide information on
infrastructures.

From the Notead added ont the map, OSM contributors working remotely can then
take care to interpret this information and add the objects with the
appropriate tags. We also have to understand that in many countries, just few
people have individual computers

Looking at various Notes that have been added recently, I see that the
description is often too short.

I suggest that the Note feature be revised with the objective to facilitate
collection of OpenData. Nothing complex, no hierarchical menu should be
developped since other tools already do it.  I think that we could simply tell
them to put some details to help us describe this object on the map adding the
appropriate characteristics :
- The type of feature (ie, school, hospital, various types of commerces, etc.)
- The name of this feature

I also see duplication of Notes for the same feature and it is not easy for
less experienced users to find the Note layer. Then, when a user click to add a
Note, the Note layer should be added automatically.

And it surely help to insist on opening an OSM account so that we can
communicate with these people.

Pierre