Richard,

After reading your replies to the list about other topics, my view on
the situation has evolved. It seems that you want to add highly
specialized information into OSM, information which is well
documented, but not easy to collect for an amateur mapper (someone who
comes in off the street, who does not own specialized equipment, etc.)

In my view, while this information may be extremely valuable, it is
likely not a good fit for the project generally. OSM is designed to be
a very general use database. It doesn't handle specialized data very
well because OSM is interested not just in ground truth, but in the
ability for virtually anyone to be able to contribute. If my
understanding is correct, then you might be better off with a separate
database, and not using OSM.

In addition, if the data changes frequently (I'd say more than once or
twice a year), then it's also not a good candidate for OSM. There are
exceptions to this rule, such as in the case of Haiti and the
placement of tent cities, but generally, OSM deals with generally
unchanging features.

- Serge