I just added this today because in the local talk list (talk-ni) a
friendly person pointed me to the relation defining Florida
(http://www.openstreetmap.org/relation/162050) which is a subarea of USA
http://www.openstreetmap.org/relation/148838

It made sense to me to add all the states/departamentos to the country's
relation, so I did it. But this should be irrelevant to the rendering as
the states of USA and the provinces of Costa Rica are getting rendered
properly, no matter if they are as subarea defined in a parent relation
(like it is the case in USA) or not (in Costa Rica).